JAVIER SORIANO/Getty Images
Real Madrid star Isco has spoken of his desire to remain at the club and regain a place in the starting XI but has admitted there is a possibility he could leave the Santiago Bernabeu.
According to the Sun‘s Jim Sheridan, he said:
I have spent practically two months without playing. It’s difficult when you’re training well and the manager does not put you in.
But in the end it’s my own fault. In the end it is me who is responsible. I want to see where I can improve to get in there.
I am not going to give in easily. I know I will be a success.
I don’t know if that will be with Madrid—I hope so. But if not, I will be a success somewhere else.
Sheridan lists Manchester United, Tottenham Hotspur and AC Milan as interested in a January move for the Spaniard, while Calciomercato added Juventus among his suitors.
The 24-year-old has made just four La Liga appearances this season and started only one of those—the 1-1 draw with Eibar on Sunday.
As FourFourTwo‘s Kiyan Sobhani noted, the playmaker did not have his best game during that match:
When Isco doesn’t play for months, you miss him. But when he plays, you remember that he puts his head down and dribbles into 5 players.
— Kiyan Sobhani (@KiyanSo) October 2, 2016
Nevertheless, Isco remains a supremely talented player—while he may on occasion over do it, he’s an excellent dribbler and his passing is often sublime.
Spanish football journalist Graham Hunter is also an admirer, but as he notes, Isco has struggled to win over those in charge at the Bernabeu since his arrival:
#Isco is a player you’d pay good money to watch. 3x European champion club/country. Why don’t his managers see it? https://t.co/DA41UuYCh2
— Graham Hunter (@BumperGraham) October 4, 2016
Were he not at Real, he would likely be a starter virtually anywhere in Europe.
However, according to Spanish outlet Mundo Deportivo (h/t Calciomercato), Isco is set to receive a new deal at the club.
The midfielder is evidently hopeful of making his time at the club a success, so it seems likely he’d extend his stay.
Likewise, he wouldn’t be offered a new deal if he didn’t feature in manager Zinedine Zidane’s plans, and with the upcoming transfer ban, squad rotation will become more crucial than ever in the Spanish capital, so plenty of opportunities should await him—he just needs to take them.
Meanwhile, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has described Real as the “club of my heart.” He told Onze Mondial (h/t the Guardian‘s Michael Butler): “I was asked in interview: ‘What is the club of your dreams?’ I replied: ‘Real Madrid is the club of my heart and I made a promise to my grandfather to play there one day, I hope it will happen. So it’s just a target, I still have time. If they want me, they will come.’”
The Borussia Dortmund striker has already netted seven times this season and notched 39 last year. Here are some of his highlights:
What would no doubt appeal to Madrid is his ability to perform on the European stage, per Sky Sports Statto:
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has now scored 13 goals in his last 15 European appearances for @BVB #UCL pic.twitter.com/sw4hf4mXMg
— Sky Sports Statto (@SkySportsStatto) September 27, 2016
While the presence of Cristiano Ronaldo, Karim Benzema and Alvaro Morata ensures Los Blancos have little need for him at this moment in time, Ronaldo will be 32 by the end of the season, and if he stays until then, he’ll be almost 33 when the transfer ban ends.
Aubameyang will still only be 28 by then and likely still be worth pursuing, so it may well still happen if Real are interested.